Gamera Addon: Webcam Toolkit
This is a Gamera toolkit for automatically taking snapshots from a webcam or document camera. It is based on the Gamera framework and requires a working Gamera installation.
About the Webcam toolkit
The Webcam Toolkit provides python library functions for querying attached video devices (like a webcam or a document camera) and for obtaining snapshots as Gamera images. It provides:
- wrappers around video drivers for MacOS X, Linux, and Windows
- a mechanism for adding new wrappers around video drivers
- integration into the Gamera GUI
- library functions for taking snapshots automatically from a python script
As this is a Gamera toolkit, it obviously requires a working installation of Gamera. Moreover, hardware access to the camera relies on one of the following third party libraries:
- On MacOS X, the QuickTime framework is used. As this is part of the operating system, no additional software is required.
- On Linux, you need Video4Linux. This is typically included in your Linux distribution in the packages libv4l and libv4l-dev.
- On Windows, DirectShow is used. As this is part of the operating system, no additional software is required.
A detailed documentation is included with the source code package in the subdirectory doc/html. A TGZ archive of this docs can also be downloaded here: webcam-doc.tar.gz
Authors and Acknowledgements
The authors of the Webcam toolkit are:
The Webcam toolkit and its source code are freely distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License. Note that the toolkit requires a working installation of Gamera. Available file releases are:
- Source code for all platforms (version 1.1.2, Jun 11, 2015)
- 64bit Windows binary installer for Python 2.7 (version 1.1.2, Jun 11, 2015)
For release notes, see the file CHANGES. For installation and usage instructions see the file doc/html/index.html in the source package. When all prerequisites are installed, installation simply requires typing
python setup.py build && sudo python setup.py install